leprosy-hospital-vadathorasalur

Tamil Nadu

TLM Vadathorasalur Hospital

Vadathorasalur village is located in Kallakkurichi Tehsil of Viluppuram district in Tamil Nadu. Viluppuram is the largest district in the state. The district lies in the middle of the Tiruchirapalli to Chennai National Highways No. 45. It is well connected by the rail road and it is major junction. The district is having a variety of educational institutions and tourist spots which are more than 500 years old.

ABOUT THE HOSPITAL

TLM Vadathorasalur Hospital was established in the year 1916. 

Danish missionaries started a leprosy home in Vadathorasalur, in Villupuram district of Tamil Nadu, in 1916, with an annual grant of Rs 1,200 from Debendernath Mullick, a philanthropist in Kolkata. The Mission to Lepers (now, The Leprosy Mission Trust India) took over the leprosy home in 1925. It was converted into a hospital in 1949.

The facilities provided by the hospital include consulting rooms, in-patient rooms, operating theatre, laboratory services, ECG services, X-ray services, counselling, physiotherapy, pharmacy, MCR protective footwear and artificial limbs.

Goal of the hospital

The hospital aims to address the physical, mental and social problems faced by people affected by leprosy in the districts of Villupuram, Tiruvannamalai, and Cuddalore, through:

  • Awareness raising about leprosy in the community for stigma reduction and early reporting.
  • Integration of general health services along with leprosy services in the community.
  • Partnering with the government and other organisations to improve access to healthcare and other social welfare schemes by people affected by leprosy.
  • Enhancing the social wellbeing of persons affected by leprosy/disability through referring them to the vocational training centres and other rehabilitation programmes. 

 

FACILITIES AND SERVICES

Outpatient Inpatient
The hospital has the following specialities:

  • leprosy treatment and management
  • dermatology
  • general medicine
  • general physiotherapy
  • general surgery
  • reconstructive surgery

In 2015, 26,000 general consultations were provided, with:

  • 95% dermatology
  • 5% general medicine
The hospital has a 20-bedded in-patient wing and provides best inpatient facility with 24-hour nursing care and latest equipment. Patients are admitted mainly for:

  • 370 leprosy patients were admitted (eye care, ulcer, surgery, lepra reaction and neuritis, etc).
  • 62 patients were admitted for general medical care.

About 5,000 leprosy bed days and 420 general patient bed days were utilised.

Surgery:

 

Support services (lab tests; X-ray, ECG, physiotherapy, counselling):

  • 20,000 lab tests, including 470 skin smear examinations for leprosy, 6,700 haematology tests and 12,600 biochemistry tests done in 2015.
  • 830 patients underwent physiotherapy.
  • 790 leprosy patients counselled.


Prevention of impairment and disability (POID) in leprosy:

The hospital provides patient education, physiotherapy, pre-fabricated splints, MCR protective footwear, etc, to leprosy patients to prevent impairment and disability. In a year:

  • 46 leprosy patients diagnosed with reaction/neuritis given appropriate treatment.
  • 77 ulcer surgeries done.
  • 1,800 pairs of MCR protective footwear manufactured in-house supplied to leprosy patients and to the government.
  • 80 orthoses manufactured by the artificial limbs manufacturing unit of the hospital were supplied to leprosy patients.

VOICES

VOLUNTEER

DONATE