Country Strategy 2019-25
The Leprosy Mission Trust India (TLMTI) has a new country strategy for 2019-25. The country strategy has been developed in a widely participative manner building on the learnings of the implementation of Country Strategy 2016-18, and in response to the current situation and opportunities for influence.
The strategic objectives defined in the Country Strategy 2019-25 are:
- Towards Zero Leprosy: Thousands of people affected by leprosy continue to go undiagnosed every year. The health sector itself has dwindling expertise in ensuring early detection and management of complications of leprosy. TLMTI could use its existing strengths to raise awareness about leprosy and its treatment, promote early reporting and create training programmes to enhance capabilities in providing holistic and effective leprosy care and complication management. In addition, it will continue to provide holistic leprosy services at all locations of TLMTI.
- Community Empowerment: People affected by leprosy are still routinely overlooked, ignored or prevented from a full participation in public, social, economic and cultural life. TLMTI believes everyone has the right to live with dignity, and hence we are committed to providing a non-discriminatory environment for inclusive development of people affected by leprosy. We will do this through capacity building, influencing policy, and providing sustainable livelihood opportunities.
- Speciality Services in Allied Areas: For under-served communities, TLMTI will continue to offer quality medical services in dermatology, disability, ophthalmology, and diabetes — fields of expertise already required for the treatment of leprosy and its multiple complications.
- Thought Leader: Through a focussed approach on documentation and dissemination of knowledge, TLMTI will attempt to create a knowledge repository that can be accessed by stakeholders within and outside India. TLMTI’s research and resources will become a reference point for proactively influencing policies relating to leprosy, disability management, and community empowerment.
- Organisational Sustainability: TLMTI will build environmental and operational sustainability by exploring alternate energy options. There will also be a concerted effort to maintain and/or upgrade functional infrastructure. Systems and processes in key areas, such as finance, human resource and other critical operational areas in data and resource management will be reviewed and streamlined to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
Enablers: The strategy is centred around our values and towards the vision of being an equitable society, where everyone has an opportunity to live with dignity and without discrimination. To enable this, the strategy will intentionally invest in four enablers, namely Advocacy and Communication, Human Resource Management, Resource Mobilization, and Strategic Partnerships.