TLM Dayapuram Hospital
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL
TLM Dayapuram Hospital was established in the year 1913.
Rev. Stanley Vaughn of the American Madurai Mission started an asylum for leprosy patients who have been thrown out of their homes, in 1913, in Dayapuram, on the banks of River Vaigai, about four km from the town of Manamadurai, in Sivagangai district of Tamil Nadu. The Mission to Lepers (now, The Leprosy Mission Trust India) was involved with the working of the asylum from the beginning. In 1955 it took over the management of the asylum. Presently, it is a full-fledged hospital catering to the medical needs of people in and around Dayapuram.
The facilities provided by the hospital include out-patient and in-patient services, operating theatre, laboratory service, ECG service, X-ray service, counselling, physiotherapy, pharmacy, MCR protective footwear and artificial limbs.
The hospital offers healthcare services and treatments for the following medical specialties:
- Leprosy Treatment and Management
- General Medicine
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Counselling Therapy
- 38,576 OPD consultations provided, with 4% for leprosy.
The hospital has a 30-bedded (20 for leprosy and 10 for general) inpatient wing and provides best inpatient facility with 24-hour nursing care and latest equipment.
- 361 patients admitted, of which 50% were leprosy patients.
- 6,548 bed days utilised, of which 81% were for leprosy.
- 85 rehabilitation surgeries done.
- 13 general surgeries done.
Support services (lab tests; X-ray, ECG, counselling)
- 17,806 lab tests, including 205 skin smear examinations and 17,601 other tests done.
- 510 X-ray imaging and 184 ECG done.
- 1,734 patients counselled.
Prevention of impairment and disability (POID) in leprosy
The hospital provides patient education, physiotherapy, pre-fabricated splints, MCR protective footwear, etc, to leprosy patients to prevent impairment and disability.
- 9 leprosy patients diagnosed with reaction/neuritis given inpatient treatment.
- 163 leprosy patients admitted for ulcer management, and 85 ulcer debridement procedures done.
- 466 pairs of MCR protective footwear manufactured and supplied to hospital patients and government/others.
The hospital has a community outreach programme in schools and tribal villages. This is done through networking with the government and other NGOs. The hospital supports people affected by leprosy and members of marginalised communities and tribals in accessing government social welfare schemes for education, economic development, healthcare, housing, insurance, livelihood pension, etc.
A total of 227 patients were seen through hospital outreach activities
Dr. Helen Roberts, Medical Superintendent
TLM Dayapuram Leprosy Centre and Community Hospital
Manamadurai Sivagangai district
Tamil Nadu – 630 606
Phone: +91 4574 258018/258019/258118
How to Get There
By Air: The nearest airport is Madurai, 55 km from the hospital.
By Train: The nearest railway station is Sivaganga railway station.
- TLM Salur Hospital
- TLM Muzaffarpur Hospital
- TLM Champa Hospital
- TLM Chandkhuri Hospital
- TLM Shahdara Hospital
- TLM Kothara Hospital
- TLM Miraj Hospital
- TLM Dayapuram Hospital
- TLM Vadathorasalur Hospital
- TLM Barabanki Hospital
- TLM Faizabad Hospital
- TLM Naini Hospital
- TLM Kolkata Hospital
- TLM Purulia Hospital
- TLM Belgaum Hospital